By Jonny Stapleton
ANDY Lee claims Felix Sturm took the easy option by choosing to defend his WBA middleweight world title against Sebastian Zbik instead of the Limerick man.
Sturm told Mirror Sport he was ready to make a fight with the Emmanuel Steward trained fighter last week, only to inflict more world title disappointment on the Irish middleweight by signing to fight Zbik on April 13.
Lee claims the 33 year old’s decision is pretty understandable even if it isn’t made in the spirit of the true champion. The Kronk southpaw claims Zbik doesn’t compare to him in terms of heart, skill or power.
Now having missed out on a clash with Sergio Martinez, Julio Chavez jnr and Sturm Lee admits he is becoming frustrated, but is confident his time will come.
The 2004 Olympian also revealed his next fight will take place on March 10
“Apparently it was down to Zbik and myself as the last two opponents. I guess he chose Zbik for obvious reasons. He is not a big puncher and is a much easier fight for Sturm style wise,” Lee told Mirror Sport.
“It’s frustrating not getting the big fights I want. But I am a threat to these guys and the don’t want to risk their title against me. We were prepared for this outcome. Emanuel is staging a fight here in Detroit March 10th so I will fight there. We should have the opponent finalised in the next day or two. I’ll keep winning and eventually my time will come.”
Lee has at various stages over the last year been linked with every middleweight world champion in the world to no avail, but it seems his name is still on the list of potential Julio Chavez jr. opponents.
The southpaw’s Promoter Lou DiBella says he is ready to do business with the Mexican at anytime.
“Andy Lee is going to have a stay busy fight next, but he is ready for Chavez jr.whenever Chavez Jr. is ready. We are ready, willing and able to make that fight. Let’s get it done.”