DEE Walsh came back with a bang and stuck two fingers up to those who questioned his power on Saturday night.
The 24 year old light middleweight ended a 20 month ring sabbatical with a first round knock out of previously undefeated Krisztian Duka to re announce himself as a prospect worth keeping an eye on.
Walsh was determined to get the name ‘Waldo’ back on fight fans lips as quick as possible and set about impressing instantly in the Devinish. Indeed, Walsh’s first punch of note with the gloves he hung up over a year ago was a knock down blow and it took him less than a round to get rid of his opponent.
Post retirement Walsh was noted for panache not power, but speaking after his sixth pro win the Belfast puncher was keen to point the KO win proves his hands are as heavy as they are fast.
“That’s exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to introduce the right hand. I have fought people a lot heavier than me in my previous fights and people said I couldn’t punch, but there you go a first round stoppage. I wasn’t planning on being aggressive, but I teed him up for the right hand, he didn’t see it coming and I got him out of there. I have more confidence in my power,” said Walsh before expressing his delight at being back.
“Hopefully I will be out in June again. I am looking forward to that. It is straight back into the gym on Monday. I am glad Mark (Dunlop) persuaded me to come back.I am happy to be back. I was really nervous all day, but once I got in the training room I was too relaxed.The biggest reason I came back was for my son. I want my son to have a father he can look up to.”