Ryohei Takahashi dismisses short notice talk and promises to drop “surprise bomb” on TJ Doheny


Ryohei Takahashi [16(6)-3(1)-1] says he will detonate a ‘surprise bomb’ in New York this Friday night and make TJ Doheny regret picking him as the opponent for his IBF super bantamweight title defence.

The Japanese fighter was officially confirmed as the man to challenge ‘The Power’ in a defence only officially confirmed by Matchroom over the weekend, but comes to Manhattan with confidence.

The 28-year-old IBF #10 warns that the late notice won’t hinder him and is promising to bring the title that the Laois southpaw took from Japan’s Ryosuke Iwasa  in August of last year back to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Speaking to the Japanese press at Yokohama Airport just hours before he left for America where he will challenge Doheny at The Theater in Madison Square Garden, Takahashi outlined his belief that the Irish champion is underestimating him.

Indeed the Asian slugger has promised to upset Doheny [20(14)-0] and the odds by producing a great Japanese triumph akin to his opponent’s own win last year.

Takahashi described how “it is really an honor to fight a World title match in this big event.”

“I’ll show everyone a great fight and rise up as a champion. I will make it happen,” he added before explaining his belief of Doheny underestimation.

Takahashi said that “I imagine that TJ Doheny believes I will be a comfortable challenge. I will make him regret fighting me with boxing full of will and enthusiasm.”

In terms of the short notice, as is always the case, many have assumed that Takahashi was in a bar drinking sake and gorging himself on sushi last weekend.

However, his promoter, Ichitaro Ishii, confirmed that Doheny’s team were in contact at the start of December and that his charge has been training with WBO super featherweight champion Masayuki Ito since.

Takahashi is feeling fit and confident, and noted how “my physical condition is great and I am ready and willing to drop a surprise bomb in the ring in New York and produce a great triumph.”

dpg

logo may

Jonny Stapleton

Irish-boxing.com contributor for 15 years and editor for the past decade. Have been covering boxing for over 16 years and writing about sport for a living for 19 years. Former Assistant Sports editor for the Gazette News Paper Group and former Tallaght Voice Sports Editor. Have had work published in publications around the world when working as a freelance journalist. Also co-founder of Junior Sports Media and Leinster Rugby PRO of the Year winner. email: [email protected]