Rogan Vows to be Back in Jan

 

IRISH heavyweight Martin Rogan has been forced to cancel his November 12 ‘Brawl In The Hall’ showdown with Matt Skelton.

Rogan pulled the plug on the King’s Hall bout today after he sustained an ankle injury in training. The 40-year-old suffered tendon damage during a training session on Wednesday and has been told the injury requires four-to-six weeks to heal before he can resume training.

The inaugural Prizefighter winner was preparing for his second career clash with Bedford Bear Skelton, who was in Belfast earlier this week to face Rogan at a press conference.

Recently, Rogan had hoped to challenge for the WBU heavyweight title but the British Boxing Board of Control refused to recognise the belt and would not sanction any bout involving that particular governing body.

An apologetic and devastated Rogan said: “If it wasn’t for bad luck I would have no luck at all. I am so sorry that the undercard fighters will not have a show and the fans won’t have one to attend. I am emotionally distraught at this time because I have been battered from pillar to post in recent weeks and yet haven’t been inside a boxing ring.

“I did not want to cheat myself or anyone paying to see me fight. I had to pull out of my second fight with Sam Sexton due to a neck injury but I wasn’t going to do what David Haye did and go into a fight with an excuse prepared should I not win.

“I know people will be disappointed. This impacts greatly on me, so soon before Christmas too. I wanted to finish the year on a high and look forward to 2012 being a big year for the Irish heavyweight scene. But now I am looking at returning to training in January with a view to hopefully getting back into action around March.

“I am getting the best physio treatment and advice and it will be my goal to put this right; to be fighting again as soon as possible. I know Matt Skelton is disappointed too but there is nothing I can do about this.”

More than 1,000 tickets had already been sold for the Brawl In The Hall show that was to include the return of Belfast fighters Martin Lindsay and Kevin O’Hara.

 

· Tickets purchased online will get a full refund.

 

Leave a Reply