It’s a quiet weekend for Irish boxing, with just three fighters in action in England and Australia.
Below we take a look at the opponents they face
Saturday July 1st
Club Punchbowl, Punchbowl, Sydney
Darragh Foley [8(6)-2(0)] – Light welterweight
Super Foley faces Filipino Joebert de los Reyes [15(10)-6(6)-1] for WBA Oceania Title over 10 rounds
– Record: Has upset a number of prospects such as Val Borg [then 6-0], Andrew Wallace [then 9-0-1], Charlie Sugiura [then 5-0]. Also defeated Foley last Summer with a ten round split-decision. Last fought against Aussie star George Kambosos Jnr, being knocked out in the fourth
– Style: Short and squat with a solid guard. Possesses dangerous one-punch KO power
– Video: A win over Aphichat Koedchatturat last year, and his stunning KO of Borg.
– Verdict: Tough comeback fight for Foley and a chance to avenge a loss.
A good opponent
Gearoid Clancy [5(1)-3(0)] – Lightweight
Clancy fights Kiwi Nort Beauchamp [9(2)-1(0)] for the World Boxing Foundation International lightweight title over 10 rounds
– Record: Excluively wins over journeymen apart from a wide technical decision loss to Cairo George [then 10-0] last year.
– Style: A busy southpaw who loves a tear-up. Rough around the edges Doesnt seem to have notable power.
– Video: a 2014 points win over Ben Sisam. Didn’t have it all his own way against the journeyman.
– Verdict: Another tough championship-distance fight for Clancy.
A good opponent.
Sports Centre, Oldham
Phil Sutcliffe Jr [9(6)-1(0)] – Light Welterweight
‘Succo’ takes on Nicaraguan Geiboord Omier [3(2)-6(2)-1] over 6 rounds.
– Record: Recently went the full eight rounds with unbeaten Canary Islander and current Carl Frampton sparring partner/Leo Santa Cruz-impersonator Jerobe Santana.
– Style: Better than your average journeyman. Quite attacking and therefore is open to shots. Decent chin.
– Video: His eight-round loss to Santana.
– Verdict: While not the immediate comeback challenge Sutcliffe had hoped for, he is a step above a padded-record journeyman.
An okay opponent.