Super flyweight Jamie Conlan believes he will finally get to lay gloves on Paul Butler in the New Year.
‘The Belfast Mexican’ has been keen on a stand of with the ‘Baby Faced Assassin’ since the Liverpool man won the British title in 2012.
However, despite a number of verbal back and forts, which included both claiming they were open to the clash, the fight never materialised as Butler went on to claim IBF bantamweight World honours.
There was talk of a WBO World title eliminator between the pair earlier this year, but again talk proved cheap and the Belfast Liverpool clash wasn’t made.
However, Conlan believes is on course to fight the 26 year old former British, Commonwealth and World champion, who claimed a first round knockout win Hector Rolando Guzman on Saturday and believes the bout will take place in the New Year.
“The Bulter fight in inevitable. The fact Boxnation wanted me to the top the November 7 (Second Comming) bill suggests they are looking to build toward it. I haven’t heard a time frame for it, but he fights in October and I fight in November, we can get Christmas out of the way and then maybe look at the New Year,” Conlan told Irish-boxing.com.
“We are both open to the fight and It shouldn’t be too hard to make.”
Both Butler and Conlan have had to field questions on each other on a regular basis over the last number of years and in fairness both have generally respectful.
However, of late Butler has been more brash when discussing a possible match up stressing he is confident he would stop the MGM puncher, not that Conlan paid any heed.
“To be honest I didn’t even look at his last fight never mind hear anything he said. I don’t pay attention to all that. I do my preparation and get in and do my job in the ring.”