Frampton says Kiko fight not made and Quigg doesn’t offer him a World title

CARL Frampton has rubbished reports a Kiko Martinez rematch has been agreed.

Martinez told Spainish press that he had agree to put his IBF super bantamweight World title on the line against ‘The Jackal’ in Belfast on September 6.

However, the mandatory for Leo Santa Cruz’s WBC title claims he has yet to sign a deal with a new opponent.

The Belfast fighter is in exploring numerous options, one of which is Martinez, but told UTV nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

“I’ve got a very close relationship with my team – everything that happens gets passed through me before anything’s signed. There’s no fight signed with Kiko Martínez. We’re talking to other people at the minute – Kiko included, but other fighters as well.

“At the minute, there isn’t a fight with anyone. But something will be announced very, very soon.”

If Martinez, a fighter, who rebuffed rematch offers last year, is Frampton’s next foe ‘The Jackal’ believes the outcome will resemble that of their first meeting.

“I think it would be the same outcome, only a little bit earlier this time,” Frampton told UTV.

As well as Santa Cruz and Martinez, the Cyclone Promotions puncher has also been linked with Scott Quigg. Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn is to give that domestic dust up the Froch Groves II treatment, but Frampton, who is confident he would stop the Bury fighter, claims he wants a World title not just a big fight next.

“Obviously me against Quigg is a massive fight, but what I’m looking to fight for is a world title and he doesn’t have a world title,” Frampton said.

“He might say he has one, but it’s not a legitimate world title.”

irishboxing

Integral part of the Irish boxing community for over 13 years