Fagan anguish at return delay

10 March 2009 – By Mark Doyle

Oisin Fagan has expressed his disappointment at failing to secure medical clearance to fight on the undercard of Bernard Dunnes world title fight with Ricardo Cordoba on March 21.

Fagan, of course, has been out of action since suffering a spiral fracture of the fibula in his defeat by Amir Khan last December.

The affable Dubliner was initially told that he would require 12 months rehabilation but Fagan came desperately close to being given the green light to fight at the O2 on Saturday week.

I was very down about the Khan fight but I knew that the best way out of that was to get back in the ring as quickly as possible. After the operation the doctors told me that I could be out for up to a year, which was devastatingj, but I dedicated myself and worked so hard to put myself in a position to recover as quickly as possible, he explained.

I converted an old office swivel chair into a training device that allowed me to shadow box while sitting in it and I also took to doing roadwork even on my crutches.

When I heard about the big show at The O2 I set my heart and soul on getting a place on that card. I know it sounds crazy but, in anticipation of fighting again, I had been sparring 8 and 10 rounds in training and running 10 miles on my roadwork days and generally training like a lunatic to get back in there stronger than ever.

The bottom line was that it was medical decision to disallow me to fight and even though I made the point that we’re not all clones and we don’t all heal at the same time, I guess the doctors can’t make an exception to the rule for a determined quick-healer like myself by allowing me to fight just three months after breaking my leg.

Personally though, I would much rather hazard physical pain and scars to my body than having to endure these mental scars that I am now tormented with, and when it comes to overall health, I think that these psychological torments are so much more difficult to deal with than cuts, bruises and breaks.

However, I don’t blame the Boxing Union of Ireland or the doctors. Rules are rules and they operate to the highest medical standards to ensure that the boxers safety is paramount.

Truth be known, they have been fantastic and extremely generous, accommodating and supportive since my last fight. Mel Christle and Dr. Joe McKeever, in particular, have helped me so much through the many troubles and obstacles, which have happened as a result of the Khan fight.

To be fair to them, their reputation would be on the line if they sanctioned a man to fight just three months after breaking a leg, no matter how miraculous my recovery seems to have been.

“However, I was just so determined to make the Irish people proud and show them that being Irish, for me, is a deep-seeded mark of resilience and something that has shaped me throughout my life.

This ideal is what drives me through the pain barrier every time I fight or anytime I am posed with a great challenge in my life. I remember where I am from and the courage and great tenacity that we, as a people are born with.”

Fagan is now hoping to make his return to the ring no later than this summer.

I just have to wait for word to be released. I was told that since I am showing great improvement, that they would reduce the comeback date from the original 12 months, down to 6 months so that means I should be able to get back in the ring in May,” he revealed.

Im not going to stop training even though I have to take this heartbreaking news on the chin. I know at the age of 35, I am coming to the twilight of my career, but I am adamant that I have a few super fights left in me and I’m definitely not finished yet and I believe the underdog will rise once again!

Leave a Reply