9 September 2010
The Cuban Revolution continues at The National Stadium in Dublin this Saturday when unbeaten Cuban duo Alexei Acosta and Luis Garcia feature on the undercard of the Hunky Dorys Fight Night.
Garcia, a 22-year-old super-middleweight is currently undefeated in eight pro fights and already rated number 26 in the World by the independent boxing records site, Boxrec.com. Garcia faces American veteran Christian Cruz on Saturday with the Californian having previously extended current WBC light-heavyweight champion, Jean Pascal in to the 10th round and having lasted into the 12th with reigning IBF super middleweight champ Lucien Bute. Cruz also holds a stoppage win over perennial contender Enrique Ornelas and with 10 of his 12 wins coming by KO he can clearly punch.
Garcia has prepared for the contest by sparring former World Champion and Joe Calzaghe foe Byron Mitchell in Cork and he’s hoping to put on a show for Dublin fight fans on his first appearance at the National Stadium. I have trained hard for this fight and I am looking to putting on a real show for the fans in Dublin, said Garcia. I want to give them a performance to remember. Cruz is an experienced opponent but I never worry about who is in the opposite corner. It’s up to them to worry about me!
Super-bantamweight Acosta has so far won all 11 of his professional outings since making the switch from the amateur ranks just under 2 years ago. Amazingly the 22-year-old has yet to rely on the scorecards having stopped all 11 opponents inside the distance and he will be hoping to continue that run on Saturday.
Acosta had been set to take on former World title challenger and Bernard Dunne foe Cristian Faccio but the Uruguayan was forced to pull out of the fight earlier this week due to personal circumstances. Acosta will now square off with Venezuelan Oscar Chacin on Saturday but Faccio remains on his hit list.
Acosta (along with Garcia and Mike Perez) is due back in the ring in Letterkenny on October 2 and he’s hopeful that Faccio will be in the opposite corner on that occasion.
It’s unfortunate that Faccio was forced to pull out because he was certainly talking a good fight but now I have to focus on Chacin and taking care of business on Saturday, said Acosta. Hopefully the Faccio fight can be rescheduled for October 2 but for now the fight with Chacin is all that matters.