After an injustice is deemed to have occurred in the scoring of a boxing bout, what follows is a demand for a rematch from fans and the losing fighter alike. But second time around it doesn’t always go to plan. Just ask George Groves.
However, Anthony Crolla deserves another shot at WBA lightweight champion Darleys Perez and he has been awarded one for November 21 in Manchester.
Last month Crolla was denied a world title after the judges favored Perez in a closely fought fight, despite the Columbia boxer being penalized twice late on for low blows.
The WBA ordered a rematch and it has now been confirmed for November 21, the same date as the Miguel Cotto and Saúl Álvarez clash. A night of world championship boxing is bound to excite fans.
Crolla told Sky Sports: “I plan on making sure that the title stays in Manchester this time. Bad decisions happen in boxing. I’m not the first person to get a bad decision and certainly wont be the last.”
The Manchester fighter also warned that he will put on an even greater performance when the pair meet again.
He said: “We are expecting a different Darleys Perez. A lot of people keep telling me how (he) is going to be better but there certainly is going to be a better Anthony Crolla as well.”
He went on to add that the fractured skull and broken ankle he suffered when confronting burglars last year along with the controversial first defeat to Perez have made him a better fighter.
Credit to Crolla who handled himself with dignity following the loss. The question is can he improve even more to snatch away Perez’s world title belt that many believe should already be his? A memorable night of boxing on November 21 will give us our answer.