Acosta and Faccio lock horns

22 September 2010

The Aura Leisure Centre in Letterkenny will be the unlikely setting for a dual Cuba vs Uruguay clash on the undercard of the Hunky Dorys Fight Night on Saturday, October 2.

Fireworks are expected when Irish based Cuban duo, Alexei The Hurricane Acosta and Luis El Leon Garcia take on Uruguayan’s Cristian Faccio and Jorge Rodriguez Olivera respectively.

The clash between Acosta and Faccio was originally supposed to take place in Dublin earlier this month but a late withdrawal by the former world title challenger from South America saw Acosta face Venezuela’s Oscar Chacin instead to record his twelfth straight victory as a professional.

The unbeaten 22-year-old has so far lived up to his name by blowing away all 12 opponents in the pro ranks inside the distance and he is confident of another early night against Faccio who was last seen in an Irish ring in 2008 when he gave Bernard Dunne a hard night’s work before losing on a technical decision in the Dubliner’s last fight before he won the WBA Super Bantamweight title.

Faccio is a good fighter and probably the best I’ve fought in my career so far because of his experience and the fact that he has fought for the World title, said Acosta. He says he is determined to win in Ireland this time, I know he was frustrated when his fight with Dunne ended because of a clash of heads and I have heard that he doesn’t think I am ready for him but we will see on the night.

So far I have not had to rely on the judges in my career but I know that you cannot knock everyone out so I am ready to go the distance if necessary. Faccio has quite a few KO’s on his record too but he can be a bit wild so I will be looking to take advantage of that and make him pay for his mistakes.

Faccio has won 4 of his 5 fights since the reversal to Dunne and he believes that Acosta is biting off more than he can chew by taking on someone of his power and experience.

I have trained so hard for this fight, said Faccio. I thought it was going to happen in September but I had some personal issues to take care off and now I am happy that this fight will finally happen because I know that people are talking about Acosta as being a big prospect and a future World Champion but I will burst his bubble on October 2.

He might have been a World Champion as an amateur but this is professional boxing, it’s a very different sport and he will learn that the hard way. He is too young and too inexperienced but it will be a great name for my record and hopefully put me back on the road to another World title fight.

Acosta’s compatriot Luis Garcia will be looking to extend his perfect professional record to 10 and 0 in Letterkenny when he takes on Jorge Rodriguez Olivera who has won all but one of his 21 pro fights to date. Earlier this week Garcia threw down a challenge to Olympic Gold medallist, James DeGale offering to face the unbeaten British prospect in London on December 11th but the normally loquacious DeGale has remained uncharacteristically tight lipped on the suggestion so far.

Leave a Reply